Location of Macedonia
General information: Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)
|Capital:||Skopje||Official languages:||Macedonian||Official alphabet:||Macedonian (variation of the Cyrillic)|
|Area:||25,713 km²||Population:||2 069 162 people||Currency:||Macedonian Denar (MKD)
EUR 1 = 61 MKD
|Drives on the:||right||Calling code:||+389||Seasons:||winter, spring, summer and autumn|
Curious facts about Macedonia
- Ohrid Lake is the oldest and one of the deepest lakes in Europe (max depth 288m or 940ft). It is about 4 million years old and has 200 endemic species that haven’t been found at any other place in the world. It was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1979.
- Mother Theresa of Calcutta was born in Skopje, Macedonia. Yet, she had Albanian origin. Today, you can see the museum house dedicated to her in the center of Skopje.
- Macedonia is the only country that got independence from Yugoslavia without a war. It remained entirely at peace at the heat of Yugoslav wars in early 1990s and got independence from Yugoslavia in 1991.
- The official name of Macedonia in the United Nations is the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, or FYROM. This is due to a long dispute the country has with Greece regarding their history as the former Kingdom of Macedonia. Even though they’re officially FYROM, the government has persuaded more than 130 countries, including the United States, to recognize it as the Republic of Macedonia.
- Skopje has suffered quite a few devastating earthquakes throughout history, the biggest ones in 518 and in 1963, ruining most of the city.
- The Millennium Cross is a 66 metre-high cross situated on the top of the Vodno Mountain in Skopje. It is the biggest cross in the world. It was constructed to serve as a memorial of 2,000 years of Christianity in Macedonia and the world.
- Оfficial Tourism website of Macedonia: www.exploringmacedonia.com
See all tours in
Balkan tour: get to know the Balkans
Let’s visit together the only winery with vineyards along the steep southern slope of the Danube river. We will head to the town of Oryahovo in Bulgaria to see and get to know the history and the wines of Chateau Burgozone.
Bulgaria, Macedonia, Romania